
I love obscure Christmas carols (especially those in a minor key) and thought I'd share a few in the next few weeks of advent.
"Let all mortal flesh keep silence and with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly-minded, for with blessings in His hand
Christ our God to earth descendeth our full homage to demand.
Rank on rank the host of heaven spreads in vanguard on the way,
As the Light of light descendeth from the realms of endless day,
That the pow'rs of hell may vanish as the darkness clears away.
At His feet the six-winged seraph, cherubim, with sleepless eye,
Veil their faces to the presence as with ceaseless voice they cry,
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, Lord Most High."
Ponder nothing earthly-minded, for with blessings in His hand
Christ our God to earth descendeth our full homage to demand.
Rank on rank the host of heaven spreads in vanguard on the way,
As the Light of light descendeth from the realms of endless day,
That the pow'rs of hell may vanish as the darkness clears away.
At His feet the six-winged seraph, cherubim, with sleepless eye,
Veil their faces to the presence as with ceaseless voice they cry,
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, Lord Most High."
-Liturgy of St. James (5th century)
4 comments:
Bringing to mind memories of "Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne" from elementary school Bible textbooks!
Amos, do you remember singing this at a Christmas program one year? For Mrs. DeWolf? LONG time ago, but I still remember all the words and the tune. Same for "It is more blessed to give than receive...."
That is really pretty.
I DEFINITELY remember "It is more blessed to give than receive...Jesus said long ago..." That was the Good King Wenceslas program!
I don't remember singing the one for Mrs. DeWolf though...just remember Mrs. Wagner - and Jason Adams throwing the roses at her at the end of the show...
Post a Comment