Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday Randomness

  • We went to a Christmas party with Dan's staff last night. Does anyone else have weird interactions being the spouse at such parties? I think a big part of it is my status as a stay-at-home mom; it's like people aren't sure what to say beyond "how are you?". It was a family affair, so people like us had little kids there. But it's like my choices were limited to hanging out in the kid room with a few other stay-at-home moms who weren't really talking to each other, they were just with their own kids (granted, some were quite young, so they definitely needed that attention) or hanging out right next to Dan, talking to men. Maybe I'm awkward is social situations like that, who knows; I just feel like I don't want to be relegated to the kid room, and I would like to have a conversation - dare I say a meaningful one? - with other women. So...tip: remember that stay-at-home moms, blessed as we are with being able to stay home with our kids, are still regular women who like hanging out with adults, too!
    And tip to myself: Be the person you want to hang out with at parties. Because I wasn't feeling stellar, I didn't really put out the energy to start a conversation, so it's not like it's all someone else's fault.
  • My favorite thing right now it to hear Jack ask to hear The Little Drummer Boy. We watch this video A LOT (the guy did it all himself, and he's 16!). And this is how Jack asks it: "Can you play Bummer Droy?" Makes me laugh every single time.
  • I had no idea how often I picked up Jack until now, when I can't lift more 20 lbs. for 2 weeks. He is capable of getting into the car seat himself, but now that I don't lift him in at all, he thinks it's great to bypass the seat and go straight to the console...up and over...into the driver seat. And I can't pull him out. And then there's the high chair, the crib, the naughty stool (on, of course; again, capable, but not willing), off the back of the couch, out from behind the tree, etc etc.
  • I really wish it would snow. I can't bear brown wintertime.
  • I inherited a huge painting from a cousin; it used to be my grandmothers. It isn't one that I would normally pick out in an art store, but its size is really perfect on our living room wall. So...to live with the less pretty wall I had before, or to live with a painting that is a wow-factor size but perhaps not really "us"?
  • I like going easy on Christmas presents. I like the absence of stress. I like how pleased our kids will be with just a few meaningful gifts. I like how Adele is learning about why people may give gifts -- and even why some people may not...and how both ways aim to put Jesus Christ in the forefront of the holiday.
  • Two new favorite web spots: Dreamsicle Day - beautiful pictures and great quotes. And then Letters of Note. Some of these are simply amazing. Check out December 6 and 7.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I hear you on the stay-at-home thing. There really is a big stigma in certain contexts. After taking care of many elderly folks it always impressed me the most meaningful things were always family. Rarely did they talk about their career. But I do feel really stupid sometimes when everybody is talking about their work...I work too :)

Kate said...

Kara, that's exactly it - I work, too! But as soon as I mention it, I feel like I'm coming across defensively.
I'm trying to think of ways to start a conversation about other interests in life, other than asking, "So, what are your hobbies?" which can sound a bit odd to someone I've just met. :)