Outside it's warming up fast. I'm ready for another rainy day...sometimes you get sick of squinting in the sun, ya know?
Praying for patience and wisdom with Jack. He's particularly frustrating this week and I'm particularly low on patience. From the kitchen this week we had kale with gnocchi and stewed tomatoes last night - it was super easy and very yummy. We had swiss chard quesadillas on Monday which are always delicious, but it's one of those recipes where you use 3 different pans or pots, plus the salad spinner to wash the chard, so you end up with a lot of kitchen clean-up. And who likes that!? BLTs were another night, with corn/black bean salad. This weekend, we're grilling a whole chicken to cover a few nights of food and keep me from having to run the stove.
Adele spends most of her days muttering imaginary conversations for her dollies. I love listening in; she hates when anyone listens.
Jack yells everything (I have forgotten what his normal voice sounds like). He loves to be outside but doesn't do anything for more than 2 minutes, so the yard is quickly littered with balls, empty bubble jars, etc. I am trying to give thanks throughout the day for his energy, even when I feel like he's trouncing me.
Reading The Dragon and the Raven for book club. Also Tim Keller's King's Cross. I need to pick up a couple of good summer reads for the porch - the light story kind of book.
Hoping to get the house spic-and-span this afternoon. That Dan isn't attacked by bears on his fishing trip. That the second half of the summer will have a much slower pace than the first half did.
Thinking about the whole "take time for me" thing that is reportedly so essential for good mothering, and how to balance that with spending more time with the Lord, being selfless for others, investing time with my kids. When pulled in every direction, why is it best to meet my own needs first -- where is the point of my own needs that must be met so that I can care for others well?
Adele spends most of her days muttering imaginary conversations for her dollies. I love listening in; she hates when anyone listens.
Jack yells everything (I have forgotten what his normal voice sounds like). He loves to be outside but doesn't do anything for more than 2 minutes, so the yard is quickly littered with balls, empty bubble jars, etc. I am trying to give thanks throughout the day for his energy, even when I feel like he's trouncing me.
Reading The Dragon and the Raven for book club. Also Tim Keller's King's Cross. I need to pick up a couple of good summer reads for the porch - the light story kind of book.
Hoping to get the house spic-and-span this afternoon. That Dan isn't attacked by bears on his fishing trip. That the second half of the summer will have a much slower pace than the first half did.
Thinking about the whole "take time for me" thing that is reportedly so essential for good mothering, and how to balance that with spending more time with the Lord, being selfless for others, investing time with my kids. When pulled in every direction, why is it best to meet my own needs first -- where is the point of my own needs that must be met so that I can care for others well?
1 comment:
I appreciate your comment on "me time". If anything, mothering has shown me how selfish I am. And selfishness seems to have so many nasty layers. However, I do find that in the evening, when both kids are up still, just before bath time, that if I can get outside to water a bit...alone...that I feel much, much better... Selfish? Perhaps. But those plants need water too. And maybe (I say maybe because I'm not really sure) Tarek wants some time alone with the kids...
Post a Comment