I was talking to my dad on the phone last Saturday evening to solicit his expert advice about how to fix our bathroom faucet: when I turned it on to wash my face, the water was pure salt water - smelled and tasted like the ocean. I thought this strange and checked the other faucets in the house. The problem was only at that one faucet.
I explained this to my dad and got a "Huh..." in response. Giving him a moment to think (I have found that men with "fix-it" tendencies are supremely irritated when no solution is apparent), I said, "This is the same faucet that, a month ago, started pouring out boiling hot water when I turned on the cold side. When I turned on the hot water handle, I got lukewarm, cool-ish water."
I was met with another "Huh..." followed by a "What???" After about 20 minutes of thinking out loud in the most confusing ramble that only an engineer can produce, he posited that perhaps the hot water problem was a back draw from the hot water heater. He started giggling and then told me this story: While at work dealing with a cross-connection problem (cross-connection is when the draw is bad in a pipe so that what is going out of your house might actually come up next door in your neighbor's pipes), the woman he was working with told him that she used to live next to a winery. She discovered that there was a cross-connect when she found red wine flowing from her kitchen faucet.
Why on earth don't Dan & I have that kind of problem at our house???
I explained this to my dad and got a "Huh..." in response. Giving him a moment to think (I have found that men with "fix-it" tendencies are supremely irritated when no solution is apparent), I said, "This is the same faucet that, a month ago, started pouring out boiling hot water when I turned on the cold side. When I turned on the hot water handle, I got lukewarm, cool-ish water."
I was met with another "Huh..." followed by a "What???" After about 20 minutes of thinking out loud in the most confusing ramble that only an engineer can produce, he posited that perhaps the hot water problem was a back draw from the hot water heater. He started giggling and then told me this story: While at work dealing with a cross-connection problem (cross-connection is when the draw is bad in a pipe so that what is going out of your house might actually come up next door in your neighbor's pipes), the woman he was working with told him that she used to live next to a winery. She discovered that there was a cross-connect when she found red wine flowing from her kitchen faucet.
Why on earth don't Dan & I have that kind of problem at our house???
4 comments:
Ah ha ha ha ha ha - that's funny!
Isn't this the faucet that mysteriously healed itself??
Holy cow!
Or in Dan's world, why not fresh beer from a brewery?
But the bigger question is: Where in the heck is your salt water coming from? And is this problem easily fixable??
The faucet did indeed heal itself the next morning...after a few of the downstairs ones did the same thing. We're figuring something went wrong with the water softener and then it all went right again. Who knows...at least all is normal again now!
Hilarious! Just adds character to that house of yours.
Post a Comment