
I've loved books my whole life, but in the past few years, I've discovered dry spells where I don't enjoy reading anymore. I do the bare minimum for a few weeks or even months, reading what I need to read (the Bible, a book club selection, cookbooks...) but never feeling like picking up a book to read for leisure and mental stimulation. Considering the time line of when this habit began, I think a large part of it has to do with being a copy editor by trade...reading from 9-5 definitely dampens the enjoyment traditionally found in reading from 5-9!
I used to kick myself during this dry spells but I've now discovered that I needn't. When I do return to reading, I get so much more out of it! It's like that just-back-to-school feeling you had in the fall during college. Reading is relaxing again and I'm ready for the "stretching" that comes from good books.
I'm just beginning one of these fresh stages. We'll see how long it lasts. In the meantime, some thoughts on reading:
I used to kick myself during this dry spells but I've now discovered that I needn't. When I do return to reading, I get so much more out of it! It's like that just-back-to-school feeling you had in the fall during college. Reading is relaxing again and I'm ready for the "stretching" that comes from good books.
I'm just beginning one of these fresh stages. We'll see how long it lasts. In the meantime, some thoughts on reading:
"If only one had time to read a little more: we either get shallow and broad, or narrow and deep."
(C.S.L.)
"Read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest."
(Book of Common Prayer)
"May I a small house and a large garden have,
A few friends and many books,
both wise, both true and both delightful, too."
(Abraham Crowley)
(C.S.L.)
"Read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest."
(Book of Common Prayer)
"May I a small house and a large garden have,
A few friends and many books,
both wise, both true and both delightful, too."
(Abraham Crowley)
3 comments:
May my "more reading" always be more narrow and deep, beloved C.S.!
That's the way I like to go anyway. I'm too easily distracted by many various topics; it's just so much better for me to pick one and keep drilling down for more, more, more. This is exactly why I know far too much about Tudor England.
Happy dry spell??? :)
I wonder if he means "narrow and deep" as the goal or a extreme to be avoided? Hmm.
I'm dreaming of days with time to read! However, I have to admit I'm thoroughly enjoying reading aloud to Sophie and Noah. We just finished the unabridged Wizard of Oz among others. Not so deep, but it's a whole lot of fun to enjoy books with your kids.
Post a Comment