Friday, September 12, 2008

Welcome, Fall


There's something about the arrival of a new season that pulls us back to our moorings. Springtime finds us out of doors, digging fresh soil and reacquainting ourselves with the neighbors, the town park, and our bikes. Summer sends us back to family and country with July 4th and vacations. And winter binds us to our homes with its dipping temperatures; with the exception of holiday parties, we spend the months rediscovering books, boardgames, and the Crockpot!


But autumn is always the healthiest for my soul. Maybe it's because it fosters the self-examination I often postpone: examining the fruit of the summer's labor (physical, emotional, and spiritual) and discovering how I have strayed from my New Years resolutions and springtime ideals. I enjoy the swing of seasons here in Michigan for more than just the glorious colors and ache of nature's last call in 2008. To reassess my values and priorities (which are so undeniably disclosed in how I have spent my time & thoughts over the past months), repent of how far I strayed, and return to the peace that follows such self-examination is...healing.


What about you? How does autumn strike you most? Or are you one of those (no friend of mine!) who are depressed by the decay and gloom of this short season?

4 comments:

kelly anne said...

Kate,
Hello, friend! It's been a while...but I've rediscovered your blog, and tonight it brought me great peace...and a heart-pang that I'm sure you find familiar. It's so rare that we really sit down, find quiet, and reflect...and repent. I am deeply moved by your words tonight...thank you. I share your love for autumn for many reasons-love the earthy-ness of root vegetables at the farmer's market, with the dirt still on, the way the crunchy leaves remind us of jeans and a campfire, and the longing of the season. It's such an in-between time, and yet, I find that the in-between times in life are often the most beautiful. And, about these in-between moments, our dear Annie Dillard says, "How we spend our days, of course, is how we spend our lives." Much love (and let's talk again soon!)-Kelly Anne

Anonymous said...

gorgeous photos!

i am a fall lover too...i get giddy when the weather turns and the colors come on.

i agree with your observations about it being a time of reflection and examining how far (or how little!) we've come. perhaps it is a knee-jerk reaction from all those school days, but fall always feels like a time of new beginnings to me. a chance to really keep those months-old resolutions. :)

wonderful post.

Amy said...

Oooohhhh! I really like your blog look! Nice work! Please tell me how in the world you go the music link in, I am having a hard time with that one, and the slideshow app...

Anyway - I love how crisp the air gets in the fall and I love wearing a sweatshirt and the feeling of everything being crunchy! Apples, leaves etc...crunch, crunch :) Winter is my favorite, but I echo your sentiments on how extreme every season is for Michigan - I enjoy the true change each one brings. Some don't like it, but I like how the year is "quartered" up for us Michiganders!

Becky said...

I would recognize a Leslie shot anywhere...golly, she's the best, isn't she???

I don't know about you, but I'm craving the smell of burning leaves. And the feel of a cashmere scarf wrapped around my neck. And my new husband's hand in my hand as we take a walk. I do love fall, it's my second favorite season. :)

And I must say I love your prose on this post. Please write more. Hey, I have an idea, write a book with me! (I think I've asked you to do that about 116 times now?)

I love you Kate!